Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia, in partnership with Chesterfield County Fire Department, presented a year-long exhibit, “Firefighting in Chesterfield County: The Original Thirteen Departments,” which opened in October 2013. Located in the county’s 1892 Old Jail, the exhibit depicted the history of Chesterfield’s original thirteen volunteer fire departments through photographs, memorabilia, fire-fighting equipment, communication devices, and oral histories.
The museum exhibit was inspired by the book “Chesterfield Fire Department: The Original Thirteen Departments” by retired Chesterfield Senior Battalion Chief David C. Creasy Sr., who played a central role in creating the exhibit. CCPL has copies of Creasy’s book at some library branches.
This collection includes images and videos of exhibit materials, as well as photographs that were provided by David Creasy.
These items were used to alert firefighters of an emergency. The mobile receiver provided a radio frequency from the fire department, either in buildings or cars. The "bread box" was placed in a firefighter's home to receive an emergency signal. The cell phone was for a direct call to a firefighter.